LEADERSHIP OPPORTUNITY: CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
Since 1912, the Michigan League for Public Policy has put the people of Michigan at the forefront of its mission. The League remains dedicated to building equity and opportunity for all. The League is a nonpartisan policy institute dedicated to economic opportunity for all. It is the only state-level organization that addresses poverty in a comprehensive way and analyzes the impact of state and federal budgets and policies on residents with low incomes. All of the League’s work is done through a racial equity lens.
Our Mission: To promote racial equity, economic security, health and well-being for all people in Michigan through policy change.
The League is currently focused on the following impact areas:
● Empowering Families with Young Children
● Promoting Skills for the New Economy
● Creating Work and Economic Opportunity for All
● Strengthening Healthy Kids and Families
● Advocating for Strong Revenues and Smart Investments
THE CEO STRATEGIC LEADERSHIP OPPORTUNITY: The League’s current long-time CEO, Ms. Gilda Jacobs, will retire at the end of 2021. The Michigan League for Public Policy Board has engaged The Hunter Group to assist in this retained executive search. This strategic leadership role offers a Statewide social justice platform leveraging strong advocacy and relationship-building leadership strengths to create sustainable equitable impact for current and future generations in the State of Michigan. The CEO will manage a current staff of approximately 20 staff with a current annual budget of $2.2 million and total assets of $7 million.
Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Michigan League for Public Policy is responsible for the strategic direction and planning, managing, and administration of the business of the League. The CEO is appointed by the Board of Directors (Board) and is administratively responsible to the Board. The CEO is accountable for compliance with the governance policies of the Board.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
League’s Mission and Strategy (20%):
- Embraces and is responsible for the implementation of the League’s work priorities that carry out the League’s mission, vision and dedication to social and economic justice and racial equity.
- In conjunction with the Board, is responsible for the strategic planning to ensure that the League can successfully fulfill its mission today and in the
- Works with Board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through proper staffing, strategic planning, fundraising, technical assistance, communications and
- Responsible for the enhancement of the League’s image
- League’s chief spokesperson
- Active in the community
- Oversees effective communications strategy
- Influence and Advocacy: Maintains and develops relationships with state and national thought partners, funders, legislators and other policymakers
- Viewed as a trusted voice
Strategic Leadership and Organizational Direction Board Governance (10%):
- Works with Board to fulfill the League’s mission as defined by the Board of Directors
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
- Seeks Board involvement in fundraising, communication strategy, and board development, including recruitment.
- Coordinates and staffs Board and committee
Financial Performance (10%)
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of the League, to include submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and quarterly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the League. This is in conjunction with the responsibilities of the
- Provide overall leadership, supervision, and management over the business activities of the Interpret and apply contract provisions, as needed.
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial
- Monitor and authorize financial transactions and expenditures
- Responsible for adherence to a strong system of internal
- Responsible for compliance with all laws and
Financial Viability (30%):
- Responsible for resource development necessary to support the League’s mission and the fiscal health of the League and its
- The CEO, in partnership with the Board and Development Committee, creates and updates an annual plan to secure philanthropic support, set fundraising goals, develop funding opportunities and conduct related activities. This includes, but is not limited to, identifying and cultivating major donors, including individuals, corporations, public and private foundations and other resource streams such as fee for service work and other self-generated revenue
- Oversees funding requests and grant applications, develops related budgets and submits funding requests to donors and potential donors; if funded, ensures reports are timely submitted and stewardship materials shared to encourage repeat/continued support.
- Ensures that all contributions and other forms of support are acknowledged and maintained accurately
- Highlights donor activity through League communications efforts to express appreciation and inspire
- Conducts annual Board and staff appeals, aiming for 100% participation in
- In conjunction with the Board, secures sponsorships for League’s annual policy
Organization Operations (20%)
- Direct supervision of Senior Management Team, Executive Assistant, and bookkeeper (with CFO).
- Responsible for the hiring and retention of diverse, competent, qualified, mission- driven staff; oversees employee benefits and compensation levels
- Responsible for the signing of all notes, agreements, and other instruments made and entered into and on behalf of the League
- Oversees executive level correspondence, reports, narrative, fiscal and budget documents, and presentations
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with the Board, consultants, employees, elected officials, the administration and the
Miscellaneous duties as needed (10%)
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND ASSETS
- A master or bachelor’s degree in related field is preferred
- Passionate about the League’s mission, vision, and work
- A commitment to racial, economic and social justice
- A recognized leader who embraces and will promote racial equity, diversity and inclusion in all of the League’s internal, external and Board work
- Understanding of Michigan legislative policy and appropriations process
- Successful non-profit managerial or executive experience, including supervision of staff
- Strong fundraising background and proven track record of success
- Positive history of relationships with legislators, state government administration, partners and funders
- Excellent communicator and spokesperson
- Vision generator
- Sense of humor
Michigan League for Public Policy Leadership Profile
Job Title: Chief Executive Officer
Department: Executive Office
Reports to: Michigan League for Public Policy League Board of Directors
FLSA Status: Exempt
Revised Date: March 2021
Approved by: Michigan League for Public Policy Board of Directors
For more information, please contact Ms. Blaire Miller, Managing Partner of The Hunter Group at email@example.com, Tel: 248.645.1551 ext 207.